Sunday, September 22, 2013

Contrasts

Birch leaf on rock ledge covered with green moss
Composition in Texture
copyright 2013, Stephanie Maatta Smith

Red maple leaf against dark mulch
Falling Leaves
copyright 2013, Stephanie Maatta Smith
Our group challenge at the end of the week was tasked with exploring contrasts. Obvious contrasts to my eye are colors and textures in nature. "Composition in Texture" gives me the smooth, glistening water against the roughness of the stone and softness of the moss. It's topped with bright yellow leaf that has lovely clean lines. I'm also drawn to bright colors contrasted against dark backgrounds. Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year when the trees are changing and the leaves are at their most vivid. "Falling Leaves" and "Birch on Rocks" provide examples of autumn in the north. An interesting contrast I just noticed in "Birch on Rocks" is the capture of a dried, brown leaf next to the newly fallen yellow one.

Yellow birch leaf against Lake Superior rocks
Birch on Rocks
copyright 2013, Stephanie Maatta Smith
My list of contrast images to take is growing -- young/old, small/large, soft/hard are a few in the plans. At some point I'll begin to look at contrast charged with more emotion.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you are beginning to play with the idea of contrasts, seeing how you use it normally and then expanding to new ideas you want to explore. I think Birch or Rocks is a wonderful photograph, for the contrasts you have identified and also for the wonderful lines throughout. The curving lines of the leaf are echoed in the lines of the rocks. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete